The village is situated in a sunny position in a beautiful valley on the border between Canton Lucerne and Canton Bern. The predominant colour is certainly green.
In Luthern the stately houses are lined up around the lime tree on the village square. The village centre with the rococo parish church of St. Ulrich and the surrounding houses - vicarage, parish hall and tithe storehouse - form a beautiful village scene. The Gasthof Sonne completes the idyll. The buildings are all listed as historical monuments. So is the Gasthof Krone below the church. In the Middle Ages, the Luther Valley and Waldsberg Castle formed a dominion. The first written record of Luthern, then known as Lutrun, comes from the papal register of 1275. In 1278 the Emmental Barons of Affoltern were the owners. The coat of arms of Luthern still bears witness to this today: The Lutheran is symbolically represented as a white wavy beam, the apple tree with apples reminds of the founders, the Barons of Affoltern. Affoltern meant "by the apple trees".